A Research Project in Roatan, Honduras

Roatan is the largest of the Bay Islands, located 35 miles north of mainland Honduras. The island is approximately 3 miles wide and 30 miles long with a resident population of 65,000. The local economy is dominated by tourism- the tropical setting with resorts, beaches, and reef diving are the primary attractions. Visitation has increased substantially- from 15,000 in 1990, to 700,000 in 2010, and 1 million plus expected in 2011. Visitors arrive by airline, ferries from the mainland, or cruise ships that make frequent stops at the two docks recently constructed for them.

Colonia Policarpo is the largest of four colonias clustered in a relatively new settlement that lies on a steep hillside on the northwest side of the island near Sandy Bay. Most of the colonia residents have migrated from mainland Honduras seeking service and construction jobs in the tourism industry. Policarpo has approximately 520 households and 3,000 residents, half under age 16. Prior to 2006, most colonia residents obtained their drinking water from rainwater catchment or shallow hand dugs well subject to pollution. Since that time Living Water 4 Roatan (LW4R), a non-governmental organization, has worked with Policarpo residents to develop a self-sustaining water system that provides treated drinking water to households on a limited basis.

The Global Partnership Project student organization at Northern Arizona University (GPP-NAU) is collaborating with this community, LW4R, and a local health clinic in an effort to improve the quality of life in the colonia. This partnership is considered to be a multi-year endeavor between NAU and Colonia Policarpo. The long term goals for this and future trips include:

- Build relationships in Roatan and within the colonia community.
- Provide for adequate sanitation systems to all residences to reduce the chances of disease outbreaks such as cholera, malaria, and dengue fever.
- Expand and improve the water system, reduce the energy costs for operating it.
- Provide for adequate solid waste collection and erosion control.
- Perform social network mapping and interviewing to gain a better understanding of the community and their needs, particularly for public works improvements.

Friday, June 3, 2011

Day One - Mercedes - Thurs 6.2.2011

Day one has been wonderful. I'm still a little tired from waking up at 2:30am for my 5am flight out of Phoenix, but it was a calm flight with a short layover. I arrived in Roatan at about 12 noon. Customs was relatively quick. I only spent 20 minutes or so in line. Just past customs was the baggage carousel. Luggage arrived shortly after I pulled up. Henry, Enrique, and Frances were there to meet me. I have spent so much time viewing videos of these folks, transcribing interviews that the team recorded last year, and talking about them with my colleagues that I felt like I was meeting old acquaintances.

We immediately went to the grocery store where I spent a whopping $150. When I look in the cupboards, I can't fully comprehend where all that money went. Unfortunately, I forgot to exchange money at the airport, so I think a lot of that money went into a bad deal on the exchange rate. Sorry, guys. The pantry may not be quite as stocked when you get here as I would have liked:) The great news is that the Pirate's Den has fruit trees everywhere. I ate cashew fruit yesterday until I thought I might make my self sick! There are also mangoes and another fruit that I think folks in Jamaica call jack fruit. He couldn't remember a name for it either. The apartment we are renting at the Pirate's Den is quite big. It has three bedrooms, two of which are air-conditioned. Unfortunately, the place has poor ventilation, so I try to work out on the patio as much as possible and avoid keeping the a/c running round the clock.

Henry and Enrique have been more than accomodating. After a very interesting, hour-long interview, we decided I should attend a meeting in which Enrique would be battling a group that is determined to take over ownership of the water committee. Enrique said it would be fine for me to record the interview. From what I gather, Enrique is really critical to the efforts of the water committee and Living Water for Roatán. He reports that he has been working with missions like those of Henry and Francies for about 15 to 18 years. It started on the mainland as occasional or part-time work. Before accepting a full-time position with LW4R back in October, he had been operating his own business, but I cannot remember now what the business entailed.

Last night's meeting was interesting. We - me, Henry, Enrique and two men from the water board named Concepción (Concho) and William - met on Henry's veranda for about two hours. They discussed difficulties with the delivery of water and people getting water without paying. It's going to take me some time to fully attune my ear to Honduran Spanish. I understand Enrique nearly 100%, but others make minced meat of their words. By the end of the meeting, I had one of those 2nd language headaches that I used to get when I first moved to Madrid. The really interesting part is that Enrique and Henry had given me the impression that this would be a contentious meeting, but to me, however, it came off quite benign and friendly, especially in the beginning. As I read between the lines and reconsider the conversation that the gentlemen had last night, I am beginning to understand that Enrique is a true politician.

Josh, McWane, and Shannon: Henry is really hoping that the team can come up with a way create some kind of automatic shut-off valve. Apparently, there are 11 "zones" that they work with here in the colonia, so they would need 11 of these connection points. Part of the problem, as I understand it, is that people are finding ways to access water even though it isn't their day. Some form of valve for each community would permit them to have more control over who gets water and when. I told Henry that I couldn't make any promises until the guys got here. He said he would also try to connect us with some gentlemen he spoke to before about such a system.

Today, I will be meeting with nurse Peggy at 10am, and then at 6pm I will observe a bible study that Enrique runs. On Sunday there will be another meeting with the water board and the community that should prove to be quite insightful.

P.S. The little GE cameras work great. The attached pictures were taken with one of them. I have been fooling around with video and am also really happy with how that is working out. It's not movie quality, but for the purposes of our research, they are easy to use, store, and upload.

They have begun installing concrete receptacles for trash. At the top of the colonia, they have begun to lay the foundation for a second bin.

No comments:

Post a Comment